Architect Help
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Get Advice from Professional Architects and Designers from Around the World

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How much will my house plan cost to build?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
homebuilder_newbie
New User
New User

How much will my house plan cost to build? Empty
PostSubject: How much will my house plan cost to build?   How much will my house plan cost to build? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 7:56 pm

So my wife and I have chosen a house plan that we like. I have the phone numbers for a few local contractors. If I want to find out how much this house is gonna cost, do we just send the contractors our plans and see what they come up with? Can someone explain this process for me a bit?
Back to top Go down
Parti_Master
Designer
Designer
Parti_Master

How much will my house plan cost to build? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much will my house plan cost to build?   How much will my house plan cost to build? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Yes, you should call in three or more general contractors. Give them each a set of plans and specifications, and ask them to submit a bid on the project. After you receive the bids, you look them over carefully, but you might be left scratching your head. You might discover the lowest bidder left something out and substituted lower-grade materials. One out. The highest bid was loaded with stuff that wasn’t on the plans or specs. Two out. But the bid in the middle doesn’t seem right either. The bid is vague, and you don’t understand if you’re going to get what you asked for. How do you know they will get it right?

The biggest issue we face in the construction industry is communication. We have to be able to take the idea you started with and understand how it was interpreted through the design process. Then we determine the materials, construction techniques, and budget for your project. A general contractor can be responsible for forty or more vendors, suppliers, and trade contractors during a new home construction or a remodel. That’s a lot of moving parts. Communication is key to everything getting done right the first time, on time, and on budget.

Once you've selected a Contractor and you've accepted his/her bid, then you put together a contract for the construction cost based on the drawings and the terms you've agreed on. Make sure that you've ironed out anything that hasn't been clarified or addressed in writing. Changes that are made after the contract is set will cost you extra, and typically you will pay a lot more for a change order after the contract than if you had included it in the original drawings and documents.

When you’re designing and bidding a project, scrupulous communication and perfect clarity are essential.
Back to top Go down

How much will my house plan cost to build?
Page 1 of 1