Architect Help
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Get Advice from Professional Architects and Designers from Around the World

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Do I need to hire an Architect?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DraftHappy
New User
New User

Do I need to hire an Architect? Empty
PostSubject: Do I need to hire an Architect?   Do I need to hire an Architect? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 4:35 pm

My wife and I are interested in building our own home. Do we need an architect to do this? Specifically I mean, do I need an architect legally to get a building permit to build a home?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sincerely,
DraftHappy

Last edited by DraftHappy on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Architectman
Licensed Architect
Licensed Architect

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to hire an Architect?   Do I need to hire an Architect? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 4:42 pm

The short answer to that is: probably not.

The long answer is: each state and local jurisdiction will vary a little bit. In general, many places do not require a stamped set of drawings from a licensed architect in order to obtain a building permit for most single-family residential homes. Generally there is a maximum size you can design without needing an architect. Again, this varies by jurisdiction but usually if your home is less than 5,000 sf than you will be fine. I live in Nebraska where the limit is 10,000 sf. Here is what they say:

"10,000 sq. ft. Structures (International Building Code Classification Group R-3)
All residential structures 10,000 sq. ft. or larger must be designed by an architect and/or professional engineer. This includes:
Single family homes"

Now whether you need to vs. whether you should hire an architect is an entirely different question!
Good Luck!
Smile

Back to top Go down
PatKearney
Licensed Architect
Licensed Architect
PatKearney

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to hire an Architect?   Do I need to hire an Architect? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm

If you've never built a house there are many many hurdles to jump over. Getting a Building Permit is just the beginning of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to hire an Architect?   Do I need to hire an Architect? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do I need to hire an Architect?
Page 1 of 1